It was a pleasure to meet Dr Aus Alzaid at the European Society for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) Annual Meeting in Barcelona to discuss the latest knowledge and insights on the use of sulfonylureas in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
1. Following the emergence of new classes of glucose-lowering drugs, where do sulfonylureas (SUs) fit into the treatment paradigm for type 2 diabetes? (0:04)
2. What do the latest guidelines recommend for the use of SUs? (1:00)
3. Have the SUs been formally tested for cardiovascular safety in cardiovascular outcome trials (CVOTs)? (2:19)
4. What are the benefits and risks of using SUs as an add-on to metformin? (5:09)
5. How do you expect the role of SUs to evolve in the future? (6:28)
Aus Alzaid has no conflicts of interest to declare in relation to this video.
Filmed at the Annual Meeting of the European Association of the Study of Diabetes (EASD) Barcelona, Spain 2019.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Diabetes
Matthew Budoff, ENDO 2021: Findings from a Substudy of the VERTIS CV Trial – Ertugliflozin for T2DM & ASCVD
We caught up with Professor Matthew Budoff (UCLA and Lundquist Institute, Torrance, CA, US) to discuss ertugliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and established atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease inadequately controlled with metformin and sulfonylurea (Clinical Trial Identifier: NCT01986881). ‘Efficacy and Safety of Ertugliflozin in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Established Cardiovascular Disease […]
Insulin at 100: a life-saving discovery but more remains to be done
2021 marks the centenary of the discovery of insulin. It is important to remind ourselves that this life-saving medication still remains beyond the reach of many people with diabetes who need it. Find out more at: https://worlddiabetesday.org/about/insulin-at-100/ Support: Published in collaboration with the International Diabetes Federation.
Juliana Chan, EASD 2020 – COVID-19 and type 1 diabetes
We spoke with Prof. Juliana Chan (The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong) following her session on COVID-19 and the impact on patients with type 1 diabetes. Questions What key areas of diabetes and COVID-19 were discussed at EASD 2020? (0:05) How do you think the COVID-19 pandemic has affected treatment both now and […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchENDOCRINOLOGYSign me up!